Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sunday in Bern

I was really fortunate last night! The other girls rooming with me turned out to be really cool; Amanda and Amelia from Sweden, and Gisella from Spain. We ended up chatting a bit, then we went out for an Egger Bier... A local brew. Last night the weather was perfect, went out in jeans and my lulu zip up and didn't get cold... How could you get cold after climbing up the hill to get to the town centre? My hostel is situated just outside of downtown, a ten minute walk from the train station... Uphill! The street where i am situated is called Weihergasse, which I cannot pronounce at all! Anyhow, we all went out for a bit, and got back by 11 p.m. Last night was one of the best sleeps I've gotten so far. I was so beat!

Amanda and Amelia left this morning, so Gisella and I went about town starting with the Barengraben (the bear pit). The bear is the symbol of Bern so in town there is a bear enclosure... But the bears weren't out yet! Bummer... So we continues to the Rosengarten (rose garden). It's a bit early for roses, but the daffodils were out in full bloom. There were families everywhere enjoying the sunshine, and dogs everywhere as well. I think I counted 4 french bulldogs today... Out of the dozens of canine sightings of the day.

We them just wandered around, walked by the Einstein Haus, the gothic cathedral Munster, the beautiful clock towers downtown.



The Cathedral Munster.


Here is Gisella, attempting to capture the full beauty of the Munster Cathedral.



Inside the cathedral, facing the altar.



Oh hey! It's me, in front of the main doors of the Munster.


View of the city from the path leading up to the Rosengarten.



The main clock tower downtown. All the little figures on it animate at every hour!



The parliament building, view of from the front. It was so nice out that there were children playing in the fountains today!

What a beautiful day, I think I even got a bit of a sunburn...
Until next time!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment