Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cruisin' On A Vaporetto

Venice is a wonder. Canals, jewelry, Murano glass, carnivale masks, no cars, water bus, tourists... A cruise ship drove by my window last night!



(found one of my favourite masks in a shop window on my way to my Venice office, the McDonald's!)

My room mate from Rome had given me a Venice public transit pass, and some pointers about how to use it. The Hostel was on Giudecca Island, so I made good use of the pass. Thanks Milka for your wisdom! I am the Vaporetto (water bus) queen! Out of at least a dozen rides, my credentials were only checked once by transit officials... And my card checked out! Yes! No fine :-)

Thus far, this is the most barrack style hostel I've experienced. The rooms have sliding doors that don't lock, and there is approximately 18 beds per room. You do get sheets, a wool blanket and a large locker to store you luggage. No kitchen access, however inexpensive home-made pizza and pasta dinners are available all night.


(as I was backing up to take this picture, I kept having to check how close I was getting to the water's edge!)

So yesterday I had the full day to discover Venice. Grabbed the Vaporetto to cross the canal grande to San Marco square. Went into the basilica... Breathtaking. The entire inside of the edifice is completely done in gold hued mosaic. Images of the apostles, Jesus, angels, some Celtic symbols; the outside of the building is also adorned with mosaic, and encased in marble. Ah! All for the glory... Aaah!


(carvings of the apostles and of Christ, facing the altar)


(one of the ceiling domes.)


(space off to the left side of the basilica allotted for silent prayer... I love the hanging candles!)

There are signs all over town directing tourists to the major spots and attractions. Good thing because maps aren't free, and if you buy the cheap one (0.50 euro, instead of larger and more detailed map for 2.50 euro) like I did, there are no street names on it! Anyhow, signs all over directing to San Marco square and the Rialto bridge. The bridge is too cool... Walked on it, next to it, and water bus under it. There is the Rialto market at the far end which of course caters to tourists looking for shirts, pins, key chains, gondola costumes, masks and capes, Murano glass... The usual.


(the Rialto bridge, view from the Vaporetto)

Venice is so cool, and beautiful. I love that there are no cars at all! I didn't see any bicycles either... Understandable as the streets are completely overrun with pedestrians. You get everywhere on foot and/or with water transit... Totally unique... It would be so cool to be here in February for carnivale!

Oh, and free wifi basically doesn't exist here in Venice. My hostel's wifi was down my entire stay, so my mission was to find a McDonald's... Of which there is only 1! And the menu serves breaded shrimp, and salami parm sandwiches.

It's been around 2.5 weeks since I left home, and slightly longer since I went swimming. That is too long... So I found a nearby pool and spent an hour doing laps. Best 6 euros spent that day.


(oh hello Switzerland! I'm back! View from the train)

Next stop, Geneva. Followed closely by Lyon, Nice, and Bordeaux.

In desperate need of a laundromat!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod

Location:Train to Milan

1 comment:

  1. might i just comment that i loved your comment about backing up taking that picture.

    ReplyDelete