Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Slice of Life

Endless appreciation and gratitude to Mark Demme for becoming the latest to support the 'To The End Of The World' documentary! The crew and I are immensely grateful for your involvement.... You can be involved too... It's easy! www.indiegogo.com/caminodoc

Although Saturday had it's ups and downs, something really positive happened... Meeting Antonio and Matteo at the battle of the bands. We got to chatting about whatever, and I told them I was into wine, blah blah. They then invited me to their home; a vineyard named la Chiara de Prumiano (it can be found at www.prumiano.it). We exchanged info, and I was to give them a call on Monday so we could get together.

So, I definitely called them! Matteo came to pick me up... Where they live is out of this world. Olive grove, vineyard, a stable with horses, dogs, cats, wooded property... I was in awe.


(what a poser... Photogenic horse in the stable)


(part of the vineyard... Obviously an iPod picture doesn't do it justice...)


(the main house...aaaaah so pretty!)

They showed me a genre of music they identified as electro-swing. I cannot wait to get some for le iPod! They are so fun... A few of their friends arrived for dinner, and we all chatted in a mix of English and Italian, mostly Italian... Whatever, it was great :-)

Oh, and I drank wines that were from 1986, 1996, 1999... We went through quite a few bottles; four before the other guests arrived!

One of the friends that I met, Tommy, is really keen on someday studying at UBC. He has a canadian quiz app on his phone, and I discovered that I'm garbage at Canada trivia. Oops!

Great news mom and dad! Antonio says I'm welcome to come stay with him anytime, particularly during September-October... The grape harvest! He says I have a job waiting for me in the fall for those months. Excellent :-)

A million thanks to Matteo and Antonio for inviting me to their beautiful home. We will discuss, and I will be back, promise!



(at the Florence train station the morning after the dinner party with Antonio and Matteo... Started the day at 5:50, too early!)

Booked a morning train to Venice, next time perhaps a later one, eh!

Chianti was amazing, so much to see... What I learned/was reminded while staying there is that you need to ensure you stick to your own agenda. Do what you want to do, when you want so you can feel completely satisfied with your experience in that town or area.

I don't feel I missed out, in fact I think I did really well in Chianti, and met some amazing locals!

Now, 1.5 days in Venice before going to Geneva... Must make most of it! Will try to fit in an afternoon swim into the program; not in the canal! Eww!


(Venice! Aaah!)


(St. Marco Basilica)


(elaborate carnivale masks)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod

Location:Venice, Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment