Monday, April 4, 2011

Aare You Cold?

Today is my last full day in Bern, Switzerland. One of my closest friends, April Passi, wishes she can be here to show me around; however, because she wasn't available she reached out to her friends living in Bern to take over for her. So much of today I spent with Kevin, a resident of Bern and a masters student here at the university. We got along great! We had lunch together, and spent most of our time discussing music, beer, hockey, soccer... Kevin is a journalist for an events magazine, and recommended a handful of cool bands I should check out. He also showed me around Bern and we drank different local beers the whole way! We did a sort of early afternoon pub crawl, if you will. Kevin and I walked along the Aare river, and he told me some of the local legends of a few of the establishments we walked past... For instance, there is a staircase haunted by the ghost of a woman who was killed by her husband when he pushed her down the stairs!



(the Aare river, surrounds downtown on 3 sides... The remaining side was protected by a bear pit; hence, the name Bern!)

The last bar we visited is located in part of an old school building; the gym has been converted into a bar and live music venue! There are still the basketball nets on the wall and gymnastics rings hanging from the ceiling... Too cool! Kevin even showed me how to navigate the train station so that tomorrow morning I can easily find my train. The train station in Bern is also a sort of mega mall, which therefore makes it a bit confusing. On Sundays, nearly everything in town is closed, so if you need anything at all from the grocery the only place you will find it is at the station.

Tomorrow morning is going to be an early one; I need to get up around 6:15 a.m. so I can leave the hostel and catch my 7:45 a.m. train to Rome.

I will hopefully be going to bed shortly, unless I run into Fernando the Argentinian... In that case I may hang out a bit with him and watch some football on t.v. :-) Good night!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment