Monday, March 14, 2011

Time is Short!

Finally, after wishing and hoping it would happen, I was able to spend this past weekend in Sudbury, Ontario. Left a rainy Ottawa behind on Friday at 12:01 a.m., and arrived in a blizzard in Sudbury at 6:30 a.m. It is my feeling that taking the Greyhound is a must on the life experience list; double trouble if you get the opportunity to stop in Chalk River on route to your destination.

I am so fortunate to have such wonderful friends in my life! They love me even when I get a random cold and lose my voice... regardless, I had a wonderful time with them. It has been so long since the last time Caitlin and I got together! So grateful to both her and Derek for taking me in for the weekend. Thanks so much, ya'll rock!

Was also able to spent some quality time with my good pal Michelle. She is graduating this year and is moving to Barrie, Ont. in a few weeks to start an amazing life with her love, Alex and their two cats Nancy and Steven. We even got into talks about her introducing me to Wasaga Beach in the summer... road trip!

Jacqueline, the lovely woman who helped me survive college at Cambrian, was also in town. Unfortunately we weren't able to spend much time together, but we were able to share a pretty wicked hug. Her hugs have miraculous powers, and I felt my blues melt away as we embraced.

I've been trying to deconstruct my new found love for Sudbury. Honestly, when I was there its charms escaped me. All I could focus on was the landscape composed mainly of the black road, grey rocks, dirty snow and an overcast sky. Now that I've graduated and moved home, I definitely have a stronger appreciation for that city and also am somewhat drawn to it. The familiarity of the place makes me feel so at home, nowhere do I feel lost or disoriented. I know the bars, and on what nights they are busy... I even know where to find a spicy eggplant pizza on a whole wheat crust or a Bela Lugosi sandwich for a reasonable price (both, of course, can be found at the Laughing Buddha).

Going there this past weekend I think I've finally discovered what it is I like the most about Sudbury; there are no surprises. Of course there are surprises, but what I mean is that I know what to expect from the place... So now, I love it. Not to worry mom and dad (they read this blog!), I will not be moving to Sudbury. Just know that I will be finding reasons to return there every so often throughout the next few years.

Another thing I love completely is Facebook. It is a miracle to a military brat such as myself. Facebook has given me the opportunity to reconnect with so many wonderful people that I have encountered through my life. It has become a primary method of contact with so many of my friends, particularly those who live abroad. One of those friends being Laurene, who I met in first year at Laurentian. She was there on exchange from France. Last time I went to Spain I was able to visit her in Bordeaux, France where she lives now.

My awesome friend Laurene is going to meet me in Paris on March 28th! Not only will she meet me there, she is actually going to pick me up from the airport at 8 a.m. when I arrive. She and her boyfriend have recently become engaged, so I will be meeting him as well.

On Sunday my first ever film, 'GUARD TEAM' was shown at the Wakefield International Film Festival (WIFF) up in Wakefield, Quebec. My film is a little rough, especially in the sound department; however, I am so proud and grateful to have been selected to screen my short film at the festival. Thank you to Brenda and Robert Rooney for spearheading such a great event!

Time is short, and I have only 13 days til my departure for Europe. In this time I have so much to accomplish that now, it's really starting to hit me. All I can think at this point is to "just keep swimming", as a wise fish once said.

No comments:

Post a Comment