Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Breakfast Hazard

This morning began in the usual fashion. My alarm went off at 8:15, pushed snooze, spent 4 minutes waking Bentley, got vertical, poured coffee, fed the dog. The only unusual part of my routine this morning was choosing a bagel as my breakfast food. Well, that turned out to be a mistake because as I was cutting it in half, which was a challenge because the bagel had been living in the fridge for a few days, the knife did an unexpected fast move and struck my thumb. What an unwelcome surprise at 8:36 a.m.! My immediate reaction was to clamp down on my wounded thumb to stop the bleed, and went quick to the sink. Once there, I collected my thoughts, grabbed a paper towel and then took out an ice-pak from the fridge. 3 things were going through my head: 1. I am going to make a bloody mess, 2. R.E.D. (rest, elevate, direct pressure), 3. Now what? I'm so accustomed to treating injuries at work, then either sending them to the doctor or calling an ambulance that I actually was stumped as to what my next move would be.

After calling my father's cell phone 5 times in 45 seconds, I called my aunt Paule, the nurse, who was at work at the time. She first asked me it"was it a bagel accident?". Well, yes, but what the heck! Turns out bagel accidents are the top breakfast injury in North America...greeeeeaaaaaat.
Next move was to wake my sleepy brother, and he brought me to the clinic. He didn't put up a fight or contest when I asked him to "please bring me to the clinic, I need stitches". Not exactly a statement not to take seriously.

He stayed with me at the clinic, and when it was all over he brought us both home and got ready for school. Wednesdays are a work afternoon for me; I called the pool office and explained the scenario to them... also that I am not permitted to get my fresh stitches wet for at least a day. My wonderful boss told me to stay home and rest, they would get by without me. I've said it before, and I will say it again, my workplace is composed of the most understanding and supportive supervisors and bosses ever. Thank you WBSC! Thank you Michael, my bro, for helping me out this morning!

Anyways, no work for me today, but I am keeping my hair appointment at 5:15p.m.! Highlights at the Algonquin School of Hair Styling.

Thanks for following the blog, you are amazing!

P.s. if considering bagels for breakfast, do not use a steak knife to cut it! Learn from this painful experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment