Saturday, February 19, 2011

Prime Excellence!

I was fortunate enough to be selected to volunteer for this year's Prime Time in Ottawa conference held at the Westin downtown. The CMPA (Canadian Film and Television Production Association) puts on the conference every year and it's focus is mainly on networking and policy. I volunteered all day Wednesday (Feb. 16, 2011) and part of Thursday; and made sure to attend the socials...

Meeting and mingling with industry people is rather tiring by the way... especially when you stay out past 2:30 a.m. to do it!

I am so grateful I got the opportunity to attend the conference, and even got to come in on the last day(Feb 18, 2o11) and take in panel discussions as well as presentations from a few of the industry leaders. My passion for television and media has been re-ingnited.

I am so happy that I got involved, and was able to get so much out of the experience! Thank you CMPA!!

It's been an incredible week! My positive meter is reading off the charts!!

As far as the planning goes for the big trip... I have acquired a merino wool sweater and a pack lock device. One of the best things about travelling and camping has got to be the before shopping. Ottawa has so many fantastic outdoor stores: MEC, Bushtukah, Trailhead, the Expedition Shoppe. Browsing those stores helps to remind me that I can go anywhere and do anything!

The items I won't be purchasing are the camera and sound kit. Those will definitely need to be borrowed from Algonquin College. I was speaking to the guy in charge of the equipment and he mentioned that the HD cameras are typically reserved for special projects... do we all agree that this is a special project?! Heck yes!

Touched base today with my partner in crime, Tasha. We have different reading weeks so we won't be able to coordinate a face to face meeting before I leave the country; however, when she gets home in early March she will have access to a free long distance phone! She recently expressed to me that she cannot wait for us to embark on this pilgrimage: to laugh, to cry, to argue and disagree... but ultimately to become stronger friends. Who knows, this trip may result in us taking on even more challenges around the world.

A few months ago I made a decision: while I am young a fresh I want to do the physically challenging trips... hiking, zip lining, horseback riding, ship wreck exploration, moon landings. Save the beaches, whale watching and wine tours for when my back and knees give out.


No comments:

Post a Comment